Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

Default Microsoft Windows Audio Sample Rate Converter Performance

In message , mcp6453
writes
Here is some information I really don't understand, but Greg Ogonowski was
talking about it on This Week in Radio Tech (on TWiT), and it sounded pretty
interesting.

http://www.indexcom.com/tech/WindowsAudioSRC/

It would be interesting to know how much any of this affects people here.

Yes, it affects many, many people, although not necessarily here, and
I've been banging on about it for ages ever since I joined in a
discussion on the Microsoft pro-audio developer's forum.

At the moment it can affect both record and playback. The distortion
occurs when the default sample rate set via Windows Control Panel does
not match the sample rate of the audio. It is bad enough to be very
obvious, for example, even when playing audio off YouTube.
Provided the sample rate converter in XP is set to High Quality, that OS
is OK, and less src is invoked anyway. Vista and 7areaffected.
The situation is compounded by the way different applications interact
differently with the audio sections of the OS in Windows 7, and Win7's
audio procedures can be horrendous for casual users.

People particularly affected are those, often broadcasters, using
laptops with usb asio audio interfaces, but often playing back via the
on-board audio and speakers.

My last observation is that it appears that many machines (eg my
Thinkpad) arrive set up for a default record sample rate of 48kHz, but
replay defaults to 44.1. If no application alters this, it seems to me a
recipe for nasty noises.

It is good to know that Microsoft are testing a fix. Their last reply to
me indicated that a fix was not on the agenda.
--
Bill