"Mike Gilmour" wrote in message
"Chung" wrote in message
Uptown Audio wrote:
I thought that you said you own Krell amplifiers and Apogee speakers.
Have you traded them for a Pioneer receiver and Bose speakers?
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

That's interesting. When did anyone say that Apogee speakers and Bose
speakers sound the same or are interchangeable?

Even if you can find a Pioneer receiver that sounds the same as a Krell,
over all power and load conditions, there are many other non-sonic
attributes leading to a preference of one over the other. Wonder what did
you really find funny about (as suggested in your title)?

I'm sure what Bill means is that both Krell amplifiers and Apogee speakers
are generally accepted as high-end audio components whereas the Bose
speakers and Pioneer receiver may be considered as not.

With respect to Pioneer, that judgement, (that they are bad) doesn't seem to
coincide with reality. I recently had a chance to compare a Pioneer
VSX-1015TX to an Acoustat 120wpc amp, and could find no difference.

There are and have been all too many poorly engineered high-end components
with elevated prices that has put the industry as a whole into disrepute,
including that of the burgeoning snakeoil accessory industry.

It is my contention that high prices are the least of the problems facing
the High Enders. The biggest problem is the long list of of outright
fraudulent products that can not actually do anything, let alone what they
claim

I do feel the
often blanket damnation of all things high-end is at times unjustified.

What, aside from speakers, in your opinion, really quailifes as true High
End?

Stewart would have chosen both his amplifier and speakers carefully from
the
high-end component selection available at that time using both his
engineering and sonic judgements.

He has stated many times that he got the Krell amp at a price that mad it a
good buy and because of it's reputation it was good to have as an
unassailable reference.

I did likewise with my Infinity Reference
speakers and NRG amplifier and I still admire the performance and
engineering of both as I'm sure Stewart does of his.
If with ever advancing technology the audio industry can provide good
sound
for less then great but what appears to be continuing in the high end is
the
astronomical nay stratospheric rise in component price. Anyone here got a
£25K amp?

Nope, nd never will even if I should have the disposable income to afford
one. There's nothing to be gained, other than braggin rights and I have no
need for such things.