philicorda

On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:52:44 +0200, perso wrote:

Hi

I'm actually thinking about a project of home studio, linux based.

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but
"serious" home studio ?

I'd say the best thing to do is to install agnula, or a live distro like
fervent, and give it a go. Even if you only have a bog standard pc
and sound card right now, at least you will get a feel of the apps and how
it works before committing yourself either way.

I like many of the audio apps on Linux, and run a Linux pc in tandem with
a dual boot Linux/Cubase win2k one. The Linux pc handles soft synths,
heavy duty effects and some recording with Ardour.

I would not record someone's album with Ardour, as I don't trust it yet.
For my personal music, it's fine. It's best suited to use as a traditional
multitrack, as it does not support midi (you can sync a sequencer like
Rosegarden with it, but I find that awkward.)

:
Linux agnula
Ardour +
Delta 1010 or RME Hammerfall