Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default 12" passive radiator replacement?

On 29/01/2020 6:43 am, nickbatz wrote:
On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 11:54:05 PM UTC-8, Trevor wrote:
On 28/01/2020 7:26 am, geoff wrote:
On 28/01/2020 9:03 am, nickbatz wrote:
At what point does it cease becoming a subwoofer and become a woofer?

100Hz.

My woofers go down to 18Hz....

Most woofers go down to 18Hz. Now how much SPL that can pump out at that
frequency is another matter entirely! :-)
That aside, MANY woofers can put out a higher SPL at 30Hz than many *so
called* sub woofers. Current terminology is to call ANY woofer in a
separate single box, a sub woofer. I've seen 3 inch "sub woofers" that
can't manage 100Hz at any normal SPL let alone real bass! :-(

Well yeah, I'd imagine a tweeter could flap 18x a second. The question is whether it's moving enough air to be of any use!

Of course it isn't, that's not the point! :-)