Posted to rec.audio.pro
R. L. Drake R. L. Drake is offline

Default Best equipment for stealth recording for voice (not music)

This may be slightly off topic for this newsgroup, and if so I apologize
and ask if any of you can direct me to a more appropriate newsgroup.

I usually wear a wire when I go to business meetings and such, because I
have a poor short-term memory, poor hearing, and arthritis which makes it
hard to write fast. I then take my meeting recording home, listen to it
with headphones while making notes, and then erase the recording.

I long ago gave up on asking people for permission to record, because even
when they give it, which isn't always, they do so only reluctantly, and it
makes them nervous and detracts from the spontaneity and benefit of the
meeting. Instead, I follow the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission"
route.

(Yes, I realize this is illegal in some jurisdictions... I'll jump off of
that bridge when I come to it.)

I use an Olympus digital voice recorder... not the most expensive one on
the market but several steps above the cheap brands. Usually I just stick
it in my shirt pocket and use the built-in microphone, but when I wear a
coat and tie I often put it in the inside pocket of the coat and use a
Radio Shack tie-clip microphone.

Usually, the audio quality is marginal at best, and often large blocks of
audio are indecipherable.

I'm looking for the BEST stealth microphone I can find, that is optimized
for voice and not music, that I can wear unobtrusively. A wireless pen
microphone, and wireless receiver that connects to the recorder, would be
best, but a wired solution is OK too.

Any suggestions?