John Stone

Default Recommend crossover capacitors, values?

in article , Steve Cohn at
wrote on 10/16/03 1:08 PM:

In article ,
John Stone wrote:

If the existing film caps are polystyrenes, I wouldn't
bother replacing them at all. Polystyrenes are about as
good as it gets for crossover caps. They are very stable
and would not go bad unless the system was heavily overdriven.

Well, they look like polystyrenes, but I can't be sure. Even so, they're
20 years old. Don't they degrade over time?

Not really. Good quality film caps (not the wax paper types found in old
radios and tv's) pretty much last indefinitely. The main failure mode for
older caps was the migration of moisture into the cap causing them to become
electrically leaky. If we're talking 20 year old film caps, they're not
going to be prone to this kind of failure because they are well sealed.

Since you have no way of referencing back to the
original crossover curves, I'd do as few changes as possible.

Actually, I do have an extra set of crossovers to test, but it's true
that I don't know what the exact intentions of the designer were.

Thanks for your input. I feel like I'm getting close to a decision on
which way to take this whole project.

Did you mention anywhere what the speakers actually are? Some here have a
lot of familiarity with actual models and may be able to assist you on this.