Jim G

Laurence Payne wrote:
[snip]

Electrically, this IS a "normal Y-adaptor".
We're not talking hi-fi here. As long as you keep the connectors
clean I doubt quality will be an issue.

Two thoughts:

If she's connecting computer sound to a stereo system, does she really
need an additional pair of crappy computer speakers? Why?

The 3.5mm stereo minijack is possibly the least robust audio
connection in general use. (Well OK - maybe the old DIN speaker plug
was even crappier :-) When the socket on your soundcard collapses
internally, a repair will probably not be practical. I would avoid
attaching anything heavier than the standard plug.

Thx for your answers guys. Richard and Laurence asked why I thought the
pictured piece is not a "normal" Y-adapter. It just seemed that this
extra hole sitting there on the head of this thing could affect the
flow. Glad to hear no one has noticed such.

Does she really need an additional pair of crappy computer

speakers? My reasoning here is it may not be a bad idea to keep the
ministereo powered down if she's gonna be doing serious stuff for an
extended time, yet might still want system sounds at these times, or
even audio for things like super-compressed Real audio, etc., where
source quality is so woeful it doesn't matter if the speakers are made
of Reynolds Wrap. Seems better to give the Panasonic a rest once in a
while, although I understand the thing stil draws power when power
button is off, dang it.

Yeah 3.5mm jacks seem lamentable. I guess for another $10 or so I could
go for an M-Audio card with RCA outputs. Would you do that?

Thx again all, JG