Kendall

"gmc" wrote in message
Hi,

A friend of mine has given me a recording of an interview he did with
Chet Atkins some years ago on cassette tape.

It's a very bad quality recording - there is an aircon/fan hum & the
voices are unintelligable:

http://www.intlog.demon.co.uk/audio/Chetclip1.mp3

I would say the first step would be to align the cassette deck to the tape
to get the best possible sound at the source. You might be able to get an
appreciably better sound, especially in the high end by doing this. As it
is, I don't think there is any way (IMO) of really salvaging it other than
that. If it were only a matter of getting rid of other noise, your previous
efforts might have had some effect, but that isn't your main problem here.
Try aligning the head's azimuth adjustment while listening to the tape. I'd
bet that at some point you'll be able to pull more high end out, which
should make it intelligible enough for transcription. Good luck!

Kendall

That's the quality of the original recording - I've tried chucking it
into cool edit pro & done a noise reduction thang by sampling the fan
noise & removing that but not had much joy..

- any tools/techniques that could at least get the voices intelligable
enough to be transcribed?

Thx