Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Anechoic Recordings

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
web.com...

I have a Technics/Panasonic LP that also contains anechoic recordings
of a couple of instruments. They all sound plain wrong. I think the
concept is seriously flawed because the way the instruments produce
their sound is neglected.

As Spock would say... "You state the obvious." Musical instruments do not have
evenly omnidirectional output at all frequencies. Their sound in a
non-absorbent room must necessarily differ from what's heard in an anechoic
chamber.

The booklet for the Denon CD states that the disk permits judgment of the
character and effectiveness of reverberation -- natural or artificial. As this
is something the average listener isn't much interested in or involved with,
it's no surprise few of us have copies. (I bought mine at the SCES.) I assume
Denon is still selling from its stock of the 1988 initial pressing.

There is one use "practical" use I can think of. A dead recording /might/ help
you get a handle on what's good and bad about a listening room's acoustics.