Ty Ford

Default Neumann KM84

In Article ,
(David Satz) wrote:
"nmm" wrote:

I have a pair of KM-85 mics, that allow the capsule to be removed, for
a gooseneck type thing... Are there capsules ( were there...) with
differant polar paterns for these mics?

Yes: the KK 83 omni and the KK 84 general-purpose cardioid. Your KK 85
capsule head--which make the microphone a KM 85--was considered to be a
"speech cardioid" type. These are still available from Neumann, by the
way; last time I priced them, they cost $490 apiece in the United States.

The KM-85 body has the low end roll off ( it's marked on the body) and a
10dB pad switch.

Not exactly. The primary rolloff is in the capsule--it's 12 dB down
at 50 Hz. The amplifier (body) is flat to lower than that, which makes
sense since it's the same exact circuit as the KM 83 and KM 84 used.

I heard the KM-85 was a fave for accoustic guitar.. seems good to me.

So I hear. And I've sold a couple of KM 85s to people who used them for
that application and seemed to like them very much. I never tried using
them for music myself; I only ever used them for speech pickup.

First time I saw them was in WJHU (Now WYPR), public radio here in baltimore.

Regards,

Ty Ford

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on
http://www.jagunet.com/~tford