Patrick Turner

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

"tubesforall" wrote:

It is my "opinion" (not edict) that CD technology is a very poor medium
for critical listening.

That is definitely a minority opinion, and it's a plain fact that it's
massively superior top vinyl, so that doiesn't leave you with much
option in prerecorded music.............

I am an (ex) classical concert violinist and
hyper sensitive to distortion in the upper registers. After years of
trying to buy CD players that could reproduce violins faithfully I gave up
and went back to vinyl. The best I thought I heard were Cary tube CD
players--which colored the sound and chopped of high frequencies, but were
at least pleasant to the ear.

You may *prefer* the distinctive sound of vinyl, but it's certainly
not accurate. I share your sensitivity to harsh treble, but I have
found CD to be exceptionally good in the upper reaches of the
spectrum, whereas vinyl becomes very 'splashy', especially in the
inner grooves. Perhaps you need better speakers? :-)

I know several people with the very latest
in digital replay equipment.
They also have vinyl replay gear worth many times the value of the digital
replay gear.
I have also been to their residences while they played digital discs
and vinyl discs from the same master tapes at the same time,
and switched between the two, using the same speakers and amps,
although the vinyl did need the extra preamp.

In nearly all cases, the vinyl was percieved to be more accurate,
threw up a better sound stage, and gave a more emotionally involving
experience which seemed to be more real than the one conveyed digitally.

Vinyl refuses to go entirely away.

When its really good, and by no means is it ever always good,
its bleedin fabulous, and the same might be said about digital,
but I don't know many who'd say that digital will always be better than the best
from vinyl..

Now pinky, your stance about
percieved accuracy or real accuracy is of little merit in the minds of the ppl I
know
who don't have a clue anout technical issues; all that matters is the sound.

No need to throw away your TT yet folks.....

Just enjoy what is enjoyable.....

Patrick Turner.