"audiodir" wrote in news:mGRWd.73204$Dc.23025
@trnddc06:

Nyquist assumes that all you want is to reproduce is a sine wave. Music is
not all sine waves.

Stu

That depends on what you consider music. One could have a recording of
square waves as an effect but there are no naturally occuring square waves.
I believe there are some bass tracks on some pop CD;s that are square waves
but that only occurs electronically and in the studio.

Most square waves on CD's are low frequencies so they get reproduced quite
well. Conversly, the LP is quite incapable of producing square waves. The
ristime is so fast that the corners would be quickly stripped off.

I recall when this topic came up once before, someone threatened to write a
sonata for function generator and drum. I don't think it ever happened
though.