Roger W. Norman

OK, let's talk about the state of audio recording these days, or more
specifically, what YOU might find to be acceptable to discuss. Or might I
offer some topics?

How about:

Your studio and the changing audio environment.

How many dollars do you spend to make pennies?

Is 24 bit/192 kHz enough or is there some true "analog" sound out there in
digital?

What NOT to buy. (This one is based on a Christmas time documentary to
children about how marketing people appeal to the baser instincts of even
little children, like making Ice Cream look great when it's actually Elmer's
****ing glue as the syrup, etc).

The case for watermarking.

The case against watermarking.

The case for new formats.

The case against new formats.

Setting an audio equipment budget.

Setting realistic requirements that fit within your budget.

Knowing what requirements actually are.

Cables with signal flow arrows on them and their value in dollars.

Rudy Van Gelder's accomplishments vs his equipment limitations.

Joe Meek's accomplishments vs his equipment limitations.

The near weekly RIP thread. You may either talk about those that have
passed, or speculate upon that will soon pass, or even set up a pool.

Microphones under $200 and their real world benefits.

Microphones over $200 and their real world benefits.

Digital, tape, or digital tape?

Which hard drives work best for recording audio?

Pros and cons of computer DAWS. This topic includes CPU speed,
hyperthreading, chipsets, amount of memory, hard drives and the interface,
audio interfi and software. Or you could break it down if you'd like.

Audio restoration of inaudible recordings. Or audio restorations of audio
that shouldn't be restored. Or audio restorations of audio that should be
restored and which of the numerous apps should one use.

DAW software, it's costs, it's inherent problems, and the audio interfi that
make each application and cpu combination a horse of a different color.

What are AES and IEC specs, and where can one download them without costs?

Where can one download a set of tracks from some major artists so that
mixing can be practiced?

What's the difference between +4 dBm and -10 dBv, or did I get that wrong
and why?

Monitors under $200 and their real world benefits.

Monitors over $200 and their real world benefits.

Should I go on or shoud I simply place my hands behind my back awaiting the
inevitable locking of handcuffs for typing too much?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Steve Jorgensen" wrote in message
I'm not a huge participant around here, but I think I speak for a lot of

us
when I say - give it a damn rest already.

If you like arguing politics, there are many good newsgroups to do it in.

know artistic types tend to be opinionated, and can't resist a little
politicalizing amongst others of similar creative interest, but when we

have
OT forks back to the root from threads that were off topic to begin with,
things are more than a little out of hand.

Sorry if I'm out of place, being an irregular here and all - just my 2c.