Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default "Value" Mic Transformers

Don Pearce wrote:
Transformers were an unfortunate necessity back in the days of valves,
both for hum rejection and impedance matching. Now, though, when an
op-amp and a couple of discrete transistors at the front can give an
ideal noise match to about 160 ohms (ideal for most mics), and CMRR of
in excess of 100dB is not a problem, there is really no point in using
a transformer, unless it is as an effect (more distortion and more
noise). Although why anyone would really want that is beyond me.

I'm willing to buy people wanting that distortion as an effect. If done
well, the resulting IMD gives a sense of blending that can be a useful
tool. I'm also willing to believe that a lot of people think they want it
but really shouldn't.