Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default "Value" Mic Transformers

On 3/10/2018 3:43 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
I was just talking to John Hardy about transformers. I have an old Revox C279 desk with six preamps. I always liked the sound of the preamps and the desk has both pre and post fader outs, but they're unbalanced.

I can go from them to my A/D converter and into Pro Tools via light pipe and they sound nice, but I'm wondering how much if any difference there'd be if I used a good transformer to balance the signal before the A/D converter. I'm only running a 3 ft cable so I'm pretty sure I'm not losing a lot.

Regards,

Ty

Well you certainly will lose something if you bung through a transformer
for the sake of it. How much depends on the transformer. And you may
actually gain something that you like - but in reality it will be a loss.

geoff