Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:59:12 AM UTC-7, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

On Monday, August 5, 2013 4:36:17 PM UTC-7, Robert Peirce wrote:

In my case, my sound system at home was significantly better than the

system in the hall. I used to listen to music on an AM radio, and I

enjoyed it at the time. However, when better sound became available I

enjoyed AM less.

That's more or less what I've been saying. If I want to listen to speakers

Mine are better than any PA speakers. Come to that, and I'd rather listen

to the streaming Boston Symphony on Internet radio from WCRB in Boston

than attend a SR'd concert.

When they start amplifying orchestras and bands, balances get all screwed

up. First, the musicians never learn how to balance themselves for the

audience.

They are not supposed to. They are supposed to play as normal and let the sound guys figure out the rest.

The piano, for example, should have the lid open and the sound

coming toward the audience, not shut and stuffed with microphones.

Actually pianos are designed to be played either way. Can't say that I have ever been to a concert where the mic was shoved under a closed lid though.

The

dynamics should be determined by th musicians, not the sound reinforcement

engineer. As soon as the microphones are introduced, the musicians will

start playing to them instead of to us.

Are you talking about orchestras? I have never seen that. And orchestras are routinely miked at concerts for archival purposes. I have never seen an orchestra change their positioning to play to microphones. Their posture is a pretty important part of how they play their instruments.

I have seen the horn section playing

with the bell of the horn facing the floor, either through lack of

showmanship or because of the damn microphones.

That is how the French horn is supposed to be played.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fren...w=1600&bih=741
When have you ever seen one played with the bell facing out?