Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Monday, August 5, 2013 1:32:20 PM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:
Scott wrote:
=20
On Monday, August 5, 2013 11:47:17 AM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:

=20
=20

=20
We're listening to people, not fiddles, and emotional communication

=20
is the point.

=20
=20

=20
And emotional communication suffers serious loss through bad sound

=20
or with a bad view. Our emotional connection comes via what we hear

=20
and what we see.

=20
=20
=20
Isn't that why we are all audiophiles?

=20
=20
=20
To obsess about the sound quality at the expense of everything else.

That is a false premise. Improving sound quality at the expense of what? Ot=
her than money. Same music collection right? No one has to give up anything=
to get better sound.

=20
To miss out on great performances because we don't like the PA System

Wasn't it you who said this just a couple posts ago?=20
"Sure, I agree with that. There is something very alienating about
arena concerts. I went to one or two and swore that I never would
again."

is that not missing out on great performances because you don't like the PA=
system? But, ironically yes, because if the PA system is bad enough and th=
e view is bad enough the great performance is missed, whether you go to the=
convert or not. =20
=20
/ hall / whatever. To value recalibrating our hearing of "real music"
=20
over communicating with musicians. Hell, no!
=20
=20
=20
To better connect with the recordings of the music we love through

=20
better sound. That certainly is why I'm in it. Music is an aesthetic

=20
experience so better aesthetics makes for a better experience.

=20
=20
=20
And who'd deny that? It's a question of which is to be the master,
=20
that's all.

How does one become the master? I would love to pick the artists, the progr=
ams, the venues and my seats for all concerts. Reality gets in the way. The=
most we can do to be the master is pick the concerts we want to go to and =
get the best seats we can get. That is what I do. It works really well. But=
it does preclude paying 150 bucks for seats that are still over 100 feet f=
rom the stage at the Hollywood Bowl. Saying no to that is as much me being =
the master as is anything anyone can do.

And I'm still appalled that Mr. Empire would miss out on
=20
a great musical experience because he doesn't like PA systems.
=20
=20

Clearly he didn't think the experience was all that great.=20