Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

Scott wrote:
On Monday, August 5, 2013 11:47:17 AM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:

We're listening to people, not fiddles, and emotional communication
is the point.

And emotional communication suffers serious loss through bad sound
or with a bad view. Our emotional connection comes via what we hear
and what we see.

Isn't that why we are all audiophiles?

To obsess about the sound quality at the expense of everything else.
To miss out on great performances because we don't like the PA System
/ hall / whatever. To value recalibrating our hearing of "real music"
over communicating with musicians. Hell, no!

To better connect with the recordings of the music we love through
better sound. That certainly is why I'm in it. Music is an aesthetic
experience so better aesthetics makes for a better experience.

And who'd deny that? It's a question of which is to be the master,
that's all. And I'm still appalled that Mr. Empire would miss out on
a great musical experience because he doesn't like PA systems.

Andrew.