Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

Scott wrote:

I would not walk out just because there is sound reinforcement but I
don't agree with you about this separation between sound (I would
add view to that as well) and the communication between the audience
and the performers. What we as audience members actually hear and
see is a pretty important part of that communication. The same exact
performance as seen and heard up close at Disney Hall is a totally
different experience as seen and heard from the back row at the
Hollywood Bowl.

Sure, I agree with that. There is something very alienating about
arena concerts. I went to one or two and swore that I never would
again.

So there is a whole lot more to it than just the performance. I
don't care how good the performance is, you would never know it from
the back of the bowl. OTOH the visceral experience of an orchestra
from row EE dead center at Disney Hall is one that will follow you
for the rest of your life.

It does matter. A lot.

Absolutely so, but that's really not what I'm talking about here. Of
course sound quality and proximity helps, but that's not what the
experience is about. We're listening to people, not fiddles, and
emotional communication is the point.

Andrew.