Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 8:14:36 PM UTC-7, Arny Krueger wrote:
"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

You guys are really touchy about your rock-and-roll aren't you?

In a way that one sentence says way to much about your prejudices and width
of view.

It's not a prejudice, Arny. If anything, it is a "postjudice", if, indeed, there were such
a word. I've heard this stuff all my life, and I've always loathed it. Even as a teen,
I eschewed it. You call it a prejudice and a narrow width of view, I call it "good taste."
8^)

It shows that you perceive rock-and-roll as not being part of your life even
though its actually so pervasive that it is such a big part of your life
that you apparently can't restrain yourself from knocking it and trying to
separate yourself from it seemingly every change you get.

You certainly can't avoid it. It IS, as you say, very pervasive. I hear it in the
supermarket, coming from other peoples' apartments, their cars on the street
etc. It's even used as theme songs for popular TV shows. I feel that your right
to contribute to the downfall of Western Civilization by listening to this crap,
ends where my ears begin.

You seem
to see my attack on the use of rock music as an evaluation tool as an
attack on the music itself in spite of the fact that I've said over and
over that my personal disdain for the genre has nothing to do with my
assessment of it as a tool for reviewers.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt and absence of evidence is not the same
as evidence of absence.

I think I've explained myself sufficiently for most people to realize that my
criteria for evaluation is not based on genre, but rather in recording
practices associated with some genres. Apparently, you haven't been following
this thread too closely, or you too would have gathered that.

And remember, I also include
"pop" in that criticism which includes country-and-western, as well as
most jazz.

More evidence of an incredibly narrow and short-sighted viewpoint.

What can I tell you? Studio-produced music is studio produced music. The above
statement by me is merely more evidence that my criticism is with the production
processes, not the music itself.

I like jazz and I listen to it, but I wouldn't use it solely
as a review tool.

Since so many people listen to rock, jazz, country western, and pop its hard
to explain how one can review audio gear without sampling them.

It's easy. I use acoustical instruments playing in real space where the space the
instruments occupy is captured stereophonically, not just the instrument itself
captured monophonically and pan-potted into a "sound stage".

One could argue that these genres are actually so similar in terms of
technical requirements for good reproduction that using any of them is
analogous with using all of them, but that doesn't seem to be the thrust of
the comments I'm responding to.

That's true. It why I lump them together as "pop".