P Stamler

Default transporting good mics to/from location gigs

Like Patric, I use old Samsonite suitcases. They're remarkably tough, and come
in several colors which help me differentiate pieces of gear (gray for the mike
cables, red for speaker cables, green for the Hafler, brown for the
microphones). I agree that they're a lot less conspicuous; also, they run $4-6
at St. Vincent de Paul. A few of the 60s-vintage models have wheels at one end
and fold-out handles at the other.

Inside, I pad them with egg-crate foam (bought at Wal-Mart as mattress foam)
and pack the fancy boxes right into the suitcase. I usually don't use dividers,
as the various microphones pack tightly enough by themselves. A hunk of
free-lance foam serves to wedge the boxes in place Oh, and the upper section of
the suitcase (behind the cardboard flap) is filled with foam too, plus maybe a
cable or two..

Peace,
Paul