Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default An ignorant style question about amplifiers.

"Inez" wrote in message
Hi!

My amplifier went dead. I was thinking that I might buy a 5 channel
amplifier due to my house having come with some built-in speakers that
are just clinging uselessly to the wall. My problem is that I still
listen to records, and as I understand it you need a special phono
input in order for a turntable to work. I can't seem to find a 5
channel amp that has phono inputs.

**Look harder. There are many available, though they tend to be slightly
more upmarket. In fact, I just looked around the workshop. Of the four units
I have in for service, only one lacked a phono input.

Is there an easy way around this problem? Can I get a doohickey of
some sort to convert my turntable to whatever it is the 5 channel amps
want? Or can someone recommend me an amplifier that has a phono
input?

**Google: 'phono preamp' or 'RIAA preamp'. There are many available ranging
from less than US$50.00 to several thousand.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au