Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jack[_11_] Jack[_11_] is offline

Default Troubleshooting Pioneer SX-838 receiver - Happy Ending, I hope

After spending the weekend up to my elbows in this receiver it is
playing beautifully through both channels and the left channel hasn't
cut out since I reseated the output transistors, which I am hoping is
what was causing the problem, because that means I fixed it.

To Tim Schwartz, I can see how the speaker switch may have been causing
the problem since it is between the main amp and the speakers, and if it
crops up again I will go to that next by jumping around it. I know it
isn't the relay because I jumped that and the problem persisted. And
looking back at the last time I posted about this 3 years ago I pulled
the relay and buffed the contacts with exceedingly fine wet/dry sandpaper.

And thanks to Dave Platt for the tip about playing a 100Hz tone to probe
for AC voltages. That was a real point in the right direction for me.

All in all, I learned a lot this time around. I may even try to
resurrect that Harmon Kardon 930 a friend of mine gave me a while back.
It eats 3 amp speakers fuses in one channel.