Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jack[_11_] Jack[_11_] is offline

Default Troubleshooting Pioneer SX-838 receiver - solved one problem,found another

Since I felt I had narrowed down the problem area to between where the
transistor readings were consistent right to left, measuring both AC
voltage to ground while playing a 100Hz tone and measuring resistance
with the power down and to where the readings were inconsistent. Based
on advice from this group I replaced a couple of electrolytic caps with
no improvement in the loss of treble in the left channel, which I became
aware of while troubleshooting the cutting out of the left channel. Plus
the left channel was again not playing when powering on. This is when I
decided to change the 2SB528 and the 2SD358.

I first swapped out the 2SB528 for the equivalent NTE 292 and powered
up. The left channel was out, but turning up the volume brought it back
as, as usual. There seemed to be a marked improvement in the treble but
that might just be wishful hearing. At any rate I decided to change the
2SD358 since I was able to get both NTE equivalents at Al Lasher's
Electronics. I unscrewed the heatsink and pulled it, and with soldering
iron in one hand and the transistor firmly grasped between thumb and
forefinger of the other, getting ready to melt the first of three blobs
of solder, I noticed the base pin on the 2SD358 was wriggling slightly
in its blob of solder. The joint was cracked! And that is when I stopped
to record this event right here, in real time. I'm torn between
resoldering the joint and changing the transistor. I will resolder it.
That's quicker. And then we will see what we shall see. Here
goes.......... okay, done. Well, the left channel started right up at
power on, but it is obvious that the high end is still gone and the
volume is still still weak. So I will swap out the 2SD358 for the NTE
291. Done. Treble still gone in left channel, but recording software is
showing the two channels equal in strength, both being a fraction of a
decibel off peak while playing a stereo jazz station, so the what I
perceived as a lack of volume might have been just a lack of treble.

I am going to assume that the problem of the left channel cutting out
was caused by the broken solder joint of the base pin of the 2SD358 and
concentrate of getting the treble back in that channel.