Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default anyone familiar with Adobe Audition here?

On 4/23/19 4:35 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/23/2019 2:55 PM, JBI wrote:
The background hiss varies throughout the file since the radio carrier
wave became stronger and also faded at times.

"Adaptive" noise reduction seems appropriate. The trick is to apply it
gently as you have, and then repeat until you've reduced the hiss to a
tolerable level or distorted the program material to an intolerable
level. You can't have one without the other.

2)Â* There is a five second beat that occurs within every minute
throughout the entire file (every 50 seconds).

By "beat" do you mean a tone? If you can find a sharp enough notch
filter, you might just be able to filter it out, or get it down to a
tolerable level. If you need to paste over it, be assured that just
about every DAW program does an automatic crossfade at the beginning and
end of a spliced-in section. You can usually adjust the crossfade time
if you need to, and you might, to get the patch to be less noticeable. I
can't tell you how to do that in Audition, but RTRM. Usually it's a
matter of zooming in to the splice point and dragging a little "handle"
at the top or bottom corner of the crossfade area to change its length
and slope.

3)Â* Finally, there is a beat every second that occurs throughout the
entire song.Â* In between the beats, there is one second of background
silence/ noise.

Hmmm . . . . this is beginning to sound like a time signal.

LOL yeah, you got it. What happened was that I got a really good one
hour capture, but you know how the time is announced at the end of every
minute. Well, I wanted two hours of clear capture. The first hour was
actually remarkable. None of the SDR stations I used were actually
close enough for consistent signals, so I've had to depend on
propagation conditions and then got lucky. Their SDR's are user
limited, so I just couldn't start recording and let it go or I would be
cut off unexpectedly.

So that meant, unless I wanted to spend days getting another lucky day,
I wondered how difficult it would be to take a sample of the next hour
and then combine it with the minutes of the good sample I have. I think
this will be possible; it's just to take a lot of time for 60 changes.
I had hoped to take the overdub, which would be the same for every
minute.... "At the tone, 16 hours...", and then put the same spacing
between each sample over the hour. I guess I'll just duplicate it and
then carefully move each sample into position. The good news is that
the time stations already have their ticks, making alignment easy. I
just have to do it 60 times.

Just for fun, I've come across another time station out of China called
BPM. It's a lot tougher finding any close SDR's, but again got lucky.
The good news is that there are no announcements per minute, only on the
hour, but I still had to string together a minute of perfect 125 Hz sub
tones, and I had to obtain these from several captured samples. I did
manage to do that all in Audacity and saved frequently just in case the
program froze.

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll fire up Audition and get this done
before my trial expires.