Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default A recording style that was in vogue or second-rate engineering?

Brassplyer wrote:

So you believe what I'm hearing & describing was a deliberate engineering c=
hoice.=20

Read the liner notes. Command invented the whole "stereo spectacular"
thing. Other folks copied them, but Command was likely first with the whole
concept that two-channel playback could be used for extreme effects rather
than for reproducing a solid stereo image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D3DG8J3U5AHQxo

=20
This has severe mistracking due to bad record playback, also a lot of wei=

rd
youtube artifacts. =20

It may not be optimally transferred and Youtube never makes something sound=
better but it sounds about like how the same album sounds played back on m=
y Technics SL-1200 MK2 that's been leveled. They were using a very clean co=
py of the album - I hear only a tiny bit of LP surface noise.=20
=20

It's not the surface noise that is annoying, it's the breakup on peaks!
Mind you, those records were cut hot.

I find that not all of Doc's Command albums sound the same but many of them=
have a similar presence to the example above.=20

Pretty much everything on Command is fake and in-your-face, and the liner
notes brag about it being that way.

But if they don't sound quite the same, check the lead-out and make sure
you don't have a later pressing that was recut differently.