bryanska

Default How do I splice antenna wire, install new connectors?

Hello,

I am wondering how I can either:

1) Cut an existing standard FM car antenna coax wire, and put a new set
of standard male/female Motorola antenna jacks onto the cut ends. So
instead of the wire being whole, it would be segmented along its
length. Can I buy a set of Motorola jacks, female and male? Further,
how do I install them onto the wire?

- or -

2) Build a length of standard FM car antenna wire that terminates in a
standard male Motorola connector on end, and a General Motors small
male connector on the other. (Wires that end in male-and-female are
commercially available, but not Motorola male-and-GM male.)

I am installing an Audiovox FMM100 modulator in my 2002 Alero. It has a
male antenna connector that outputs to the head unit, and a female jack
that receives from the antenna source.

The problem is, the headunit's antenna is HARDWIRED into the unit.
Further, the other end of that same wire is a GM male jack that plugs
into an antenna "box" adjacent to the car's in-window antenna grid.

This situation requires one of the above solutions. Number 1 is
preferable.

ANY help is appreciated.