Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default Best digital music recording program

On Monday, December 8, 2014 11:17:35 AM UTC-6, Tom Evans wrote:
Digital music composing is appropriate for me and no amount of advice
from anyone will change that, and there's nothing wrong with my desire
to approach music digitally.

Sd I read this thread, no one in it said any such thing. All they said was that it's going to take a lot of work on your part -- mastering the art of digital composition takes as much work as mastering a wood'n'steel instrument, though it'd a different kind of work. And yes, you'll have to spend weeks (more like years) going through the sample libraries to learn what they sound like. That's part of the territory.

Why do sample libraries cost so damn much? Because the companies producing them have to pay professional musicians and audio engineers to produce them, that's why.

As for the magazines, if you don't want your head polluted or time wasted by Windows-oriented thinking, you should know that Electronic Musician's articles are mostly Mac oriented, and Recording's articles on this topic are too. because Mac is the most common platform that musicians who play this kind of music use. and they write the reviews. Computer magazines are worth reading too for the useful info they provide on the mechanics of keeping your box running (data management, backup strategies, stuff like that), but if you want to learn about audio or music making on a computer, they won't get you very far, because that's not what they're mostly about. For that, you need to read the mags that focus on the topic of electronic music making.

Peace,
Paul