Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Evans Tom Evans is offline

Default Best digital music recording program

On 2014-12-07 06:50:32 -0800, Scott Dorsey said:

Tom Evans wrote:

Most of the Kontakt sounds are not my cup of soup style-wise. (To put
it more simply, I don't like most of them.)

Then purchase a third-party sample library. Pick the software you like,
then purchase sounds for it, not the other way around.

Or make your own samples.
--scott

I have softwa Garageband.

I considered buying Logic Pro, but have been assured in this thread that
I don't need Logic Pro to make pro-quality soongs.

You don't *need* any particular program to make pro-quality songs. What
you need is talent and patience, and a basic recording setup.

People have been making music for Centuries without computers, and
recording stuff for decades using various recording technologies. The
only thing they all have in common is a need to make music for others
to hear. If you have that need, then you will find a way to do the job
with whatever you've got.

But I still need to add some swell instrument sounds to the software to
make those swell songs.

See above. It's quite possible to make very good music using cheesy
stuff like a Roland drum machine and a Casio keyboard, if you're
talented enough. I've heard a pair of musicians make good sounds with a
keyboard, a guitar, two voices and a "Band in a box" machine. It was
just a shame they started their set with "Smoke On The Water"...

Are there any wealthy, successful music stars who became successful and
rich using cheesy stuff like a Roland drum machine and a Casio
keyboard? If so, they're a tiny fraction of today's music stars.
(Even more absurd is the example given here of a musician who makes
music with a bicycle.)

I instinctively know what's right for my music-making needs. I want to
make digital music. I've had that strong urge for at least 15 years.

And I'm a composer type of musician -- not a player type. Therefore
digital means are appropriate for me.

I want to take advantage of the modern technology because it opens vast
music-making possibilites that never existed before, at relatively low
cost. Previous generations of musicians never even dreamed of the
digital tools available today. Therefore t's ridiculous to try to
steer me away from digital music-making given the fact that it can
empower me so much.

I've embraced high-tech, digital software and hardware (cameras,
computers and printers, etcetera) in my career and that's empowered me
to be a self-sustaining, professional fine artist for the last dozen
years. Most of my colleagues -- on the other hand -- who paint
one-of-a-kind paintings by hand -- the old fashioned way -- without
digital technology -- have to subsidize their art-making by being
restaurant servers or supermarket clerks, or are only able to make art
a hobby. I left most of my fine art colleagues (even the ones who work
digitally) in the dust many years ago, and I achieved that success by
embracing digital technology.

Digital music composing is appropriate for me and no amount of advice
from anyone will change that, and there's nothing wrong with my desire
to approach music digitally.

Tom