Les

Default Amps, more argument!

From: "Will_Skillz"
Ha! I see you changed your name to Les.

That has always been my name, I put it at the end of every post. It is
different today because I am using a different computer and newsreader.

SoundFreak03: ...unless your amplifier is defective.

I think it was defective. It doesn't work anymore after only about 3
weeks of use. That might have caused the sound difference. The defect
may have been affecting the way it sounded. It just stopped working. A
local car audio shop told me all my wiring was fine, my amp was just
bad.

Sounddomain is crediting my card back. So I probably was indeed hearing
a difference in sound, but it was probably due to a defect or
something. I hooked my Digitalis up, and it works.

Well at least SD is giving you your money back, and you had a backup amp.
Once you get used to a sub even going without it for a couple of days seems
like forever.

Question:

So the ONLY difference between, say, a Zapco and a Jensen amp of the
same power is features and build quality?

Lets say they were both 1000wrms amps at 2ohms, powering the same
700wrms sub. Clearly this is within their capabilities. So they would
sound no different, crossovers and everything the same?

If everything is the same, crossover, gain, slopes the yes they would sound
the same. The differences that would come into play then would be things
like reliability, looks, resale value, and price paid. That is the point of
the all amps sound the same. You have so many other things that are far more
important and contribute more to the overall effectiveness of an amp.

Les