Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Default Car alarm installers rant

ruens wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:31:43 -0500, ChrisB
wrote:

(...)
Okay rant off, but the bottom line I am trying to get at is can someone
tell me why none of the local installers do starter disables when they
install alarms? Is it because the newer vehicles have chipped keys or
are they just lazy?

Hmm.. because most aftermarket car alarms on the market today already
come equiped with a starter disable system?!?!

Yeah, but I had three different installers at different shops tell me
they haven't connected the starter disable in years. When I asked one
of them why, he said there are too many problems when the starter
disable is connected to the vehicle. He even was arrogant enough to say
the alarm was enough to keep the vehicle from getting stolen, even
though the starter disable wasn't connected.

Don't get me wrong, I know an alarm isn't fool-proof, but sheesh, I
can't believe that no one locally utilizes the starter disable feature.
Heck, with a couple of thieves working in tandem, that alarm would
sound for a couple of seconds before the siren wire was cut, then they
could proceed to do what is needed to boost the car without even having
to worry about the alarm system. Even worse, if I know that most of the
shops in my area don't connect the starter disable circuit, I am sure
the thieves know this too! Kind of scary if you think about it.

I haven't installed an alarm since 1993 yet I feel I could competently
connect the starter disable circuit. I am older now, and I hate
twisting into those strange positions required to install an alarm, but,
to ensure I get the features I want, I may have to make an exception!