Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mr. Finsky[_2_] Mr. Finsky[_2_] is offline

Default Can mp3 quality be improved?

On Dec 14, 6:37=A0pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Reliable proof?

The skeptical members of this forum should form a consortium to offer a
signficiant cash reward for reliable proof.

After all, it worked for the Great James Randi! =A0AFAIK, no cable snake =

oil
artist or reviewer has ever even tried to collect the million =A0dollars.

I do recall reading that various audiophile writers have attempted to
test the Great James Randi and collect the million smackers. The
problem is that Randi avoided all contact with anyone trying to do a
test. Randi is wonderful about publicity but appears to avoid a
confrontation that might cost him money or demonstrate that he may be
as big a phony as his "magician" targets.

Personally, I know I can hear the difference between mass market junk
and "audiophile" gear. I do think that the law of diminishing returns
exists in the audiophile world. The improvements obtained by spending
more money become small, once you have reached a certain price point.

I examined and tested the difference between 192 .wma files and a aiff
files ripped through iTunes. The difference was quite minor. However,
the cost of hard drives is so low that saving space is not worth the
potential problems. Besides, ripping CD's through dbpoweramp to FLAC
is loads of fun and flexibility.