Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

Default Soldering Flux

On 2/15/2015 4:14 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/15/2015 10:00 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Out of curiosity, why is the acid stuff usable on copper pipes but not
on copper electronic things?

I suppose because a little corrosion isn't as harmful on a large piece
of pipe as it is on a little circuit board, where it's likely to
contaminate other parts than just what you're soldering at the moment.

When I play plumber, I use a borax paste flux because it stays put and
doesn't drip. Do they still make Nokorode paste flux? I used to use that
to tin my soldering gun tips and for soldering heavy wire when working
on antennas outdoors.

I believe the acid flux corrosion by products tend to be conductive.
I also seem to recall some of the stuff being hygroscopic, in time
creating a conductive ooze.

==
Later...
Ron Capik