Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default Guilty of cheating your custommer?

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:17:35 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I would say it is 100% of the problem. Well, centrally the problem is that

people haven't listened to live acoustic music....

--scott

people don't know what music sounds like unless it's coming out of a speaker. I'm amazed when , in many small, casual situations, people insist on amplifying acoustic instruments and their voices through very marginal gear when a completely acoustic event is both sufficient and has superior sound.

It also occurs in major venues. Some of the *major* jazz venues I've worked in around the world insist on miking the drums and amplifying the bass..... for me who plays the second quietest instrument in the world it makes it that much more difficult to amplify. And unnecessary- do you really think the people won't be able to hear the cymbals unless you mike them? mike the guitar, let the rums and bass come off the stand, and have an easy night.

The public also has unrealistic expectations of volume levels used on the fact that recorded/reproduced/amplified music is the norm. See my post above- they want it loud.

because of this, when i'm working in a venue where this will work, I always play a solo selection or two completely unamplified so the audience can hear the real sound of the guitar.....