Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default In Mobile Age, Sound Quality Steps Back

On Thu, 13 May 2010 09:13:54 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:28:35 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Jenn" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

I recently participated in blind listening tests
comparing a $12,000 speaker
system from a well-known designer with excellent
technical chops to a European-designed, China-built
studio monitor system that sells for under $400 the
pair. They did sound a little different from each
other. The listening panel was about evenly split as
to which they preferred based on
dynamic range, tone quality and imaging. They all
agreed that both pairs of
speakers sounded very, very good.

So, what were the speakers?

Behringer B2031A

I have a pair of those connected to my computer. I use
them as "near-field" monitors when I'm using my computer
as a DAW. They're pretty good and well made, (I'm
actually a big Behringer fan and have lots of their gear.
They generally represent good value and performance for
money spent)),

You may be under-appreciating what you have before you.

but the B2031As are similar to a lot of
near-field monitors in that price-range. For instance,
they have little in the way of bass below about 60 Hz.

We were listening to classical orchestral and choir music, not rap. The
B2031s do have audible response below 60 Hz and it was good enough.

I will say that they are better than ANY "audiophile"
speakers of that size at up to three times the price. But
a pair of Magnepan's new 1.7s will blow em out of the
water at $2000, as will M-L's little Source ES hybrid at
the same price. I do agree that they are a great buy at
less than $500/pair street price.

Phrases like "blow them out of the water" does not exactly sound like the
results of a careful evaluation to me. :-(

Much like the details of your "careful" evaluation above, the one where you
won't say what the $12000 speakers were, don't know whether the test was
double or single blind, Don't know what music was used, etc., etc., etc. Pot,
Kettle, black.

BTW, when I use a phrase like "blow them out of the water", I'm referring to
the speaker's ability to convey some of the feeling and characteristics of
real. live music, playing in a real space. Specifically, the Behringers,
while excellent for their purpose, do not provide as satisfying a listener
experience as do the other above named speakers. How do you DBT listener
satisfaction, Arny? Hmmmm?

Also, I see no efforts to control some biases that based on previous and
this post, seem to be very pronounced.

Pot, kettle, etc.

Interestingly enough the larger speakers were also bipolar transducers, but
they used multi-way direct radiating drivers with a more typical design.

What were they?