Wylie Williams

Default How big a sub is enough?

I have heard many speakers that had peaky or ill controlled bass that were
considered more satisfying than similar size speakers with tighter bass,
even though tight bass is more technically correct. But I have almost no
experience of listening to larger systems with critically damped woofers
capable of moving far larger amounts of air than the typical speakers or
subwoofer. I have always assumed that such a system would satisfy both
requirements - "realistic and satisfying" and "tight". Who can tell me
their experience? As I have pondered building a subwoofer it would be
helpful to have an good idea how crazy one has to get to be sure of bass
response that satisfies both criteria.
Wylie Williams