Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

Default 64 bit processing, etc.

Soundhaspriority wrote:
wrote in message

But... as a misic recordong/production platform...
Lotsa work getting intimately familiar with alsa, integrating alsa nas
stuff like jackd, not to speak about no professional music apps.
Drivers for (semi) pro soundcards? Well, a few, like RME.

Another myth. But it is completely understandable how, if you haven't been a
programmer, that you don't understand it. You can be a very intelligent
person, and still not understand.

??? Have you actually tried implementing a sound studio on Linux?
If so, you may have been based on Debian.. I believe it's the only
distro having those audio parts available in a repository (though I
mostly work with Redhat, Centos, Slackware ((and FreeBSD, Solaris))

And oh yeah, I was a systems programmer back in the late 80's to early
90's, later went into systems integration, sysadm, network and security.
I work with *nix every day as a sysadmin.

It's exactly because of my teck background I wouldn't dream of spending
month setting up a Linux studio system.

Tell me, where can I buy supported studio audio apps for Linux?
Those audio apps that can be downloaded free from freshmeat and
sourceforge, do they integrate with Protools, Reason, Cubase, Logic...?

Don't get me wrong. I love working with *nix, but when it comes to
music, I look at the tech side as a musician. Prefer twangin' strings,
and actually make music.

In three to five years maybe, who knows. When We've gotten rid of the
two competing GUI's (Gnome and KDE) and have one official GUI with one
API and one set of libs. And when users can install all the stuff
without havng to perform post-config requiring tech knowledge.
Yes, a distro like debian-based Ubuntu has made real good steps WRT
enduser useability, but when do you suppose the GPL will allow us to see
VST or the other standard whats-its-name plugin's?

I believe the German build Muse stuff does it, but that's a sealed
Linux-based box, not an enduser accessable Linux distro.

-hope I didn't misunderstand your comments, else I've just made a fun
fool out of myself

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

"Unix is very simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
-- Dennis Ritchie