Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Default Inspecting the stylus?

wrote:
How do you inspect a stylus on a phono cartridge is in good shape?
I guess I can use some kind of magnifying glass, right?
How good the resolution of the magnifying glass should be to
adequately tell the usage/life left for a stylus? What kinds of tool
do you use?

Thx

Depends on the stylus, I suppose. I have an 80x microscope designed for
inspecting (selling) stylii, and I find it barely adequate.

If it's a hi-fi stylus of .7 mil or less you probably need magnification in
the 300x range or better for definitive analysis of actual wear.

Just telling if it's playable or not 30x would probably do.

Mark Z.