Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Bi-wiring?

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:33:53 -0700, codifus wrote
(in article ):

On Mar 18, 11:08*am, Steven Sullivan wrote:
Greg Wormald wrote:
Most scientists I know talk in terms of 'suggests', 'indicates', and
'theory', rather than black and white certainties, and this makes me
want to try many things for myself.

All scientists would say that to demonstrate that your effect is real,
you have to use a controlled experiment. *'Just listening for yourself'
doesn't suffice.

Absent a firm technical basis for the effect, there's a very good chance
that any difference you are hearing with your bi- and tri-wiring, is
imaginary. *A scientist would insist that you rule out that possibility
first.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

That is true, and I completely agree. No one here is stating anything
as fact. An observation was made in not so controlled conditions and
the confirmation was stated as an opinion. You know, IMO?

The way that some posters strongly react with such statements as
absurd, imaginary, etc suggests that these people only accept others
whose opinions agree with them.

I can't speak for others, but I can and will speak for myself on this matter.
I know that any audible effects from bi-wiring are as impossible as trolls
under the bridge, Santa Claus and his flying sleigh, the Easter Bunny and
being abducted by space aliens. If I heard any such phenomenon, I would doubt
the results, and chalk it up to imagination or other factors having nothing
to do with bi-wiring. OTOH, if I heard such a phenomenon in a properly
conducted double-blind test, I would believe that something was happening and
would suggest that, since all current electrical knowledge tells me that such
a result is not possible, that perhaps, just perhaps, that there is still
something about the conduction of electrical signals that we do not yet know
or understand. Unfortunately, I have been privy to several such double-blind
tests involving not only bi-wiring, but speaker cables of varying price
ranges from the very cheap (lamp cord) to the very expensive (nylon jacketed,
as big as fire hoses, and "active"), Nobody could tell the difference between
the lamp cord and the very expensive, or anything in between in either single
runs or double blind which is exactly what the laws of electricity say should
be the result. The results of the tests were no better than blind chance for
any of those experiments. Since the amplifiers were the same and the speakers
were the same for all the tests, each time, the conclusion was and remains
that speaker wire contributes no sound of its own to the reproduction of
music, either in single runs or bi-wired or even, I suspect, tripple-wired.