Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Bi-wiring?

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:20:09 -0700, Greg Wormald wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
codifus wrote:

That is one way to look at it. Another? Everyone in this thread says
that bi-wiring doesn't work. Does that mean that you and all the
others are conforming?

Far be it for me to side with everyone else.

CD

Hi CD,

I've already stated that IMO the only way to see if bi-wiring works is
to try it on your system. Some speaker manufacturers say to use it,
others say no.

Some people find no physical basis for it, others do.

Those two groups break-down into those who understand electronics and
electrical theory, and those who don't. It's like other great myths. The
difference between believing them and not believing them is knowledge.

Some use simple
electrical engineering explanations for what appears to be a complex
process, especially given the sophisticated hearing/interpretation
mechanisms that humans have. Some use what appears to be fantasy to
explain how it works.

It is not a complex process. Either the two sets of speaker binding posts are
connected together at the posts themselves or at the amplifier. Given a
reasonable speaker cable run of adequately sized cable of 25 ft or less,
there is NO electrical difference.

Most scientists I know talk in terms of 'suggests', 'indicates', and
'theory', rather than black and white certainties, and this makes me
want to try many things for myself.

Tell you what. Climb up on the roof of your house, start flapping your arms
as fast as you can, jump off and try to fly. Let us know how that works out
for you. Because it's just as impossible as bi-wiring and for the same basic
reason - the laws of physics say NO.

I have tri-wired my Linn Kabers and am very pleased with the result. So
pleased I will not go back to single wires. I've tried single wires with
3 times the copper and still prefer the tri-wires.

Isn't imagination a wonderful thing? And that's fine as long as you realize
that its just YOUR imagination that prefers tri-wiring. Your speakers don't
care, or perform any differently one way or another, and neither does your
amplifier.

I'm just not willing to argue with people. If they can't/won't hear any
difference then I feel like I'm arguing colour with the blind, and I've
got music to appreciate.

Greg. Nobody's arguing with you. Its your money and if you like what you
think you hear, do it. We're just telling you that wire, especially at audio
frequencies presents no mysteries. Its well understood, well characterized
and well tested. There is no magic "something" that we just haven't learned
to measure yet that will, when finally revealed, explain why bi-wiring works.
We can measure everything and we know the effects of current through wires
from DC all the way to microwaves and anywhere in between. Bi-wiring is
electrically just the same as connecting the two sets of binding posts
together at the back of the speakers using the provided straps. There is an
old saying that goes "A difference which makes no difference, is no
difference at all." That is an ultimate truth.