Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Bi-wiring?

On Mar 6, 10:53*am, ST wrote:

I did try bi-wiring and found that the system tend to sound bit
bright. Ok, maybe it is all in my head. But then I was thinking is it
possible why my system sounded bright because of the followings:-

1) Let's say speaker's impedance is *6 ohm.

2) However, my tweeter is said to be 4 ohm and my woofer is 8 ohm.

3) My Amp is capable of 250W per channel.

Q1) Will driving with X amount of power into 6 ohm speaker be the same
as driving with the same amp but individually, i.e bi-wiring the 4ohm
tweeter and 8 ohm woofer with non whatsoever changes in the volume?

YIKES!

OK... Follow closely, please.

a) "Mono" wiring means a single pair from the amp output to the
speaker, with the jumper(s) at the speaker remaining in place.
b) "Bi-Wiring" means two pairs from the *SAME* amp output to the
speaker and the jumper(s) at the speaker removed.

So: It is the precise, same, identical output to the precise, same,
identical speaker excepting the jumper is now a little bit longer.
THEY ARE CONNECTED AT THE AMP TERMINALS RATHER THAN AT THE SPEAKER
TERMINALS - but they ARE STILL CONNECTED.

i) the amp sees the same speaker either way.
ii) the amp therefore reacts to the same load either way.
iii) if you were to draw an electrical block diagram of the
connections they would be identical.

No matter how it is sliced and diced there will be no discernable
difference between "bi" or "hetero" wiring as far as either the
speaker or the amp is concerned assuming proper gauge wire and secure
connections in the first place. In other words, the laws of physics as
detailed already still obtain.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA