Mike Rivers

Default Is all audio literature shallow? Where is the IN-DEPTH info?

In article writes:

I am just amazed that there doesn't seem to be ANY book with ANY
in-depth info on things like mixing techniques. At my local bookstore
the audio books all hold the same basic info like "use a pop shield
when recording vocals (..)".

Well, can you learn any more than the basics about playing guitar in a
particular style from a book? Once you understand where the gozintas
and gozoutas go and what the knobs do, it's up to you to put the tools
to use and create something artistic. Like there's no benchmark for
the perfect guitar solo (other than within the context of a particular
song) there's no benchmark for a perfect mix, so there's only so much
you can learn from a book.

There are several technical audio books like the "Handbook of Sound
Engineers" (Ballou) that are good but I'm not very interested in the
technical side of the story.

In that case, you're missing much of what mixing is about. If that's
the direction you're headed, listen to a lot of music, learn to take
it apart sound by sound, and become a producer, not an engineer.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )