Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Digital Oscilloscopes (was: Crosstalk in snake cable that includespeaker cables and mic cables)

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/14/2018 6:27 AM, Trevor wrote:
I was thinking of the fact you no longer have to adjust beam focus,
vertical position etc. But you still have to adjust probe compensation I
guess.

Yup - that's analog.

I have to recompensate the probes on the LeCroy DSO every time I use it
too.

For what I do, analog oscilloscopes are just fine and I don't have to
think too hard when I use one. If I want a storage scope for audio, for
example, to measure latency or phase shift at a given frequency, I use a
DAW program - digital for sure, but still easy to use for the application.

The DSO is better for finding little glitches and for long-term very slow
stuff. Let's say you thought an amplifier had DC drift issues... you can
put the DSO on the emitter, set the sweep to one hour, and then turn the
thing on and watch. You can't look at frequencies that low with the DAW and
doing it with an analogue scope is impossible.

The DSO also likely does power spectra faster and better than the DAW, not
that there isn't software available for PCs that does it pretty well. I
never thought that would really be useful for me but I am blown away at how
useful it really is.

But the DSO is really annoying for tweak-and-peak work. I have the last
Tek 545 on the field sitting on my bench at work and the cal people hate me
for it, but it's marvelous for lining receivers up and so forth.