Posted to rec.audio.car
Agave

Default Where discuss car video?

wrote:
Agave wrote:

IMHO, if you're planning trips to unfamiliar territories, consider
getting a navigation system.

Oh yeah....will do the GPS thing

Thing is...I'm trying to determine if I want this stuff
"built-in" the vehicle..or separate stand alone
components that can be used in vehicle as well as taken
out and walked with

I went through a similar quandary. My decision to go with an integrated
unit (the AVIC-N1) was based upon ease of use and driving safety. The
voice control, not just voice directions, makes it safe to control the
unit with voice commands while driving, as well as the optional remote
mounted on the steering wheel adds to the driving safety. IMO, the
mapping screen is also easier to see because it's larger than the
hand-held nav units.

For me, I figured if I ever needed to use a hand-held nav unit, I'd buy
a separate one specifically for walking around and mountain biking. As
for the multimedia stuff, I'm not one who goes around with ear buds
while I'm hiking or MTBing...or anything else for that matter, so having
portable audio/video isn't an issue for me.

FWIW, the first Sirius unit I bought was a PNP model that could be
removed from my truck and placed in a docking station hooked up to my
home stereo or a boom box...I never took the Sirius unit out of the
truck :-) . The new replacement Sirius unit interfaces directly to the
AVIC HU and is mounted in the truck. The new unit doesn't have all of
the capabilities of some of the SA units, but for me it does enough and
is controlled through the same remote as the AVIC.

For the new AVIC units, there was alot of griping going on about not
being able to override the features that are disabled while the vehicle
is in motion. I don't know if the hackers have figured out a way to
override this safety feature. In any event, you should be aware that
this issue may exist and see if it impacts your decision. This link may
give you some additional info:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...asp?FID=9&PN=0

Pet Peeve - Pioneer charges way too much for its updated map and POI DVDs.