Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Default Where discuss car video?

I didn't realize that changing the name of this group would mean basically
having to create an ENTIRELY new group. I would never expect EVERYONE to
follow me over (like some pied piper of car audio) to the new group.
"Rec.audio.car" is just too embedded in the internet and car audio world.
Furthermore, changing the name would likely create more problems than it
would solve.

Well, that settles that. Oh well, it was JUST an idea.

MOSFET

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
The trouble is, Ian, most people don't take the time to read our charter.
Again, the very thread we are discussing this issue in proves my point
(it is not clear that video is discussed here). In fact, there may be
others who have a question about car video and decide NOT to post here
because they feel it doesn't fit.

Well if you can't figure out that "rec.audio.car" is the closest thing
available, you're probably too dense to be driving in the first place

Would it be THAT hard to change the name of the group to
rec.multimedia.car or something similar?

Yes, it would.

First, you can't just arbitrarily change newsgroup names - you'd have to
create a NEW group with the name you want. Using your example, that alone
would first require creating a rec.multimedia heirarchy, and you'd need a
good reason for THAT. As Ian pointed out, that would have to go through
its own process - create charter, request discussion, etc.

Second, that name is just as misleading, because "multimedia" is more
commonly used to the describe CONTENT, not HARDWARE - if I saw
"rec.multimedia.car" I'd expect to find audio and video clips (or
discussions thereof) of cars, car racing, car crashes, etc. (note that
there is an alt.multimedia heirarchy, consisting of the likes of
a.m.cu-seeme, a.m.director, a.m.emblazen... basically structured for
topics about multimedia SOFTWARE).

I KNOW this issue has come up before and I KNOW that RAC has been RAC for
a VERY long time and I realize it is presumptuous of me to want to mess
with tradition. I just feel we could help more people with a more
descriptive name.

There's nothing stopping you from creating your own group(s)... again, you
just need to follow the proper process and demostrate that there's a need
or desire for it/them. Once such group(s) is/are created, getting people
to go there is a whole other task.

Back in the early days of the 'net people could just randomly create
newsgroups with few controls on the process, and so you end up with group
names like "alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die" - and because of how the
heirarchy structure works, you also have alt.ensign, alt.ensign.wesley,
alt.ensign.wesley.die, and alt.ensign.wesley.die.die... none of which
actually contain any posts, except for a.e.w.d.d.die, which on my ISP's
server contains a single spam message... it gets really ridiculous, really
fast.