Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

Default Quote without comment

"John Byrns" wrote in message

But Iain said "You cannot use a stamper - it's a positive", how can both
the stamper and the LP both be "positive"? I think Iain has another
definition for "positive".

Hello John. I described the process in the terminology we we used
at Decca to you in a post yesterday. Afer this I received a message
from a guy who works as the Swedish mint in Stockholm. He told
me that the stamper used to strike coins and medals, which has the
raised surface, is also called a "positiv"

Similarly, he pointed out, in map making, countours above sea level
are termed positive contours, so this logic is not un-common.

I would not be at all surprised if you use opposite/different terms
in the US. In Europe we have a history of seeing things
differently:-)

Some of these have been discussed on RAT: Plate/anode,
common cathode/cathode coupled, tube/valve etc etc.
Many of the German and UK equipment makers and
studios used at one time what seemed a much more
sensible convention for wiring XLR connectors.
1-Ground, 2.Cld, 3 Hot.

But, call it what you will, the fact still remains, that,
without the use of the inverted stylus which Arny
mentioned, one cannot normally transcribe
from a stamper.

Best regards
Iain