Troy

The G5 has the optical in and out so it should work if you have a G5.I
haven't tried it with mine yet.

chris wrote in message
k.net...
Fabrice wrote:
Hi,

i was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to connect a DAT
recorder to a mac running os x. since i'm trying to do a bit of
location sound recording for film, but would also like to be able to
record sounds and manipulate them for post production, i'm just trying
to figure out what would be the best recorder to get. if anyone can
let me know how i'd go about transferring from DAT to mac, then that'd
be great, like what equipment i might need, and if i'd lose any
quality through doing so, then i'd be very grateful

thanks

fabrice

If you don't need 48MHz, Sony's Hi-MD can do Linear PCM at 44.1MHz. It
can hold 1hr 34min on a single 1GB MD disc. The sound track can then be
transfered to the PC via USB connection. It's rather slow but doesn't
have the hassle of real-time recording like the old MD or DAT. Sony has
just released a conversion tool to save the recorded track to WAVE.
There is a catch, however, the Sony software is for Windows only.

If you opt to get a DAT, you would need a sound card with digital
optical/coxial audio in. I think a new G5 desktop has the optical port
but I am not sure. There are also digital audio to USB external box. I
think you can check MidiMan.com to find the right stuff for your Mac.