François Yves Le Gal

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:33:57 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Isn't it interesting that we "subjectivists" here are always whipsawed by
the "objectivists" for thinking that extended frequency response is a
benefit "because it can't be heard".

A number of published tests demonstrate that ultrasonic signals can be
perceived and have an influence. A recent publication seems to contradict
those findings, but I've not read it yet and can't be more specific.

I seem to recall some discussion about "measureable perceptible limits"?

And I also recall asking a question about said, which has gone unanswered...
:-)

Well, yes and no, if you remember to hit enter twice and have the defaults
set up properly it will "usually" work.

Not with the Denon player I've recently tried, or with various Panasonic
gear before. But maybe my setup was improperly done.

The DVD-Audio consortium seems to think that seeing still pictures and
playlists onscreen is a big musical advantage, I guess.

CD+Text has been devlopped some 20 years ago, and nobody did care then. Why
should people want the same clumsy gadgets today?

I wonder if there are any audiophiles among them?

The DVD-A specs were basically laid down by a number of engineers working
for high end companies, with Bob Stuart, of Meridian fame, taking a very
active role.

Neither does the consortium, but *something* makes the sound brittle on many
DVD-A's.

I guess that it's the spoiler signal, conjuged with poor mastering. A
quality high definition LPCM disc should be totally transparent.

Maybe Meriden will lead the way.

Meridian isn't very good at developping their own silicon. They are
basically excellent integrators of organ bank components, wrapping them with
some very clever software in nice designs.