Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.opinion,alt.music.home-studio,rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

Default Adding reverb to hi-fi

William Sommerwerck wrote:
IMHO the best way to get a good classical recording is to use a good hall
to make the recording and put the microphones on the right place.

Yes, but how do you do that with existing, commercial recordings, which is
what the OP was asking about?

Well, a couple points. If it's popular/pop music, one may choose to not
even bother If it's classical, one may choose another recording.

Nevertheles, even though I prefer recordings the way they were made (and
hopefully intended) by the rec engineer, I never opted for a surround
system, to much criticism from friends (a gots-to-have these days).

I'd prefer a good stereo with full range fronts and tonewise matching
rear speakers for pseudo-quadro/surround for films _and_ for a more
spacious experience for at least some music.
I have absolutely no interest in center speakers and subwoofers.

I've sometimes been thinking about exactly what you say here, i.e. a
rear setup creating a natural ambiace, as it happens in the real
theatre/hall due to reflections. Kindof a minimal effect, just to add
what a spaciousness-wise 'flat' stereo recording don't have.

Yes, I've tried some crappy consumer gear attempting to do that, of
cause to no avail. I'll have a look at your suggested gear.

Uhh ohh, I'm most surely going to be lectured now :-D

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.