Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default What is the most powerful audio output tube?

On 12/08/16 07:19, so wittily quipped:
What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
output?

I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
looking into other possible tubes.

At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
envelope (plate on the top cap).

I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
RMS (per channel).

you'd probably do well with 6550, or KT88 (or maybe 8417 if you can find
them) - I think you'd need 6 of them for 500W. Output transformer might
be a bit more difficult.

this page shows the 1650W for 280W and 6 to 8 output tubes

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1608.htm

if you're desperate, you could just bridge two of them to get 560W, or
tweek the circuit and use the 8 ohm output on 4 ohms and run the risk of
frying the transformer at some point...